65% Scientific Research
- Research activities to inform on zoonotic disease surveillance, characterize biological and ecological risk for animal-to-human disease transmission in high-risk settings, and understand global patterns in emerging infectious diseases.
- Develop methods and analyses to evaluate surveillance strategies to detect zoonotic pathogens at high risk interfaces for disease emergence;
- Analyze metadata on emerging zoonotic diseases, high-risk human-animal contact, and ecological risk and conduct data analyses needed to train models for emerging disease prediction;
- Develop advanced analytical techniques and associated programming capabilities for infectious disease modeling, predictive frameworks, and social network analyses;
- Conduct independent research and produce high quality scientific manuscripts related to biosurveillance and emerging infectious disease.
35% Project Implementation
- Provide disease expertise, technical support, data analyses, and data-sharing tools for zoonotic disease prediction and biosurveillance projects;
- Provide epidemiologic expertise to field staff in other countries on study design, data collection, data management, data analysis and interpretation, and publication preparation;
- Contribute to regular summaries of surveillance data, assist in development of data collection and data management tools; and ensure open communication and coordination with international partners in project implementation;
- Travel to work with field staff, participate in field activities, and participate in logistic and/or scientific meetings as needed.
Background in infectious disease epidemiology or disease ecology and strong quantitative skills in biostatistics, epidemiology, and mathematical modeling with knowledge of animal health and wildlife disease. Experience with statistical software including R and STATA, as well as ability to write code for programming, including Python. Experience conducting independent, applied scientific research on infectious diseases and promising publication track record.
PhD in biology, ecology, epidemiology, or related life-science (required)
Please email cover letter and CV by September 8th to: Christine Kreuder Johnson